Friday, May 30, 2008

San Francisco Bay Trail


Was this the last training ride, or the prelude to the big ride? I rode out on the San Francisco Bay Trail. When finished, it will run 500 miles around the Bay. My little part was about 15 miles out and 15 back. Fortunately the trail starts about 100 yards from my hotel. (South of the Airport on the map). The day started with SF’s classic fog and drizzle, but by the end of the ride gave way to blue skies and sunshine. The first part of the ride was on an elevated paved path, right at the edge of the bay. The views of the bridges, mountains, and water were impressive. After a while, the path veers off to follow marshlands and then into very upscale business parks; the home of Oracle and Shutterfly. Lunch was at a neat Thai restaurant. I had something other than Pad Thai. (It wasn’t on the menu). When I got back to the hotel, I met a few more members of our group; a couple from Holland (whose bikes were still in London) and a guy from Tasmania (who was riding a recumbent). Then I took a nice nap. By way of answer to my thesis question, today’s outing was the prelude to the big ride. If it had been a training ride, it would have pushed me from 1990 training miles to 2,020. Breaking the 2,000 mile mark just wasn’t something I had to do. ; - )

No comments: