Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Food for Thought


One can't ride more than an hour or so using the glycogen stored in muscle, so "on the bike" nutrition becomes a critical issue. Cyclists endlessly debate the pros and cons of Gatorade vs Endurex vs Acclerade vs coffee with two shots of espresso and lots of cream. I have a different take to this. The key things on the bike are energy (i.e. calories) and electrolytes (i.e. salt). That's why Spam is the food of choice for this endurance cyclist. It's high in fat so there is a lot of energy. It's also high in salt, so that takes care of the electrolytes. It also comes in a variety of formats to break the boredom and for ease of use. There is the classical can with it's flip top opening. Just grab a fork (or a tire lever) and dig in. This format can also be use used to grease the bike chain in a pinch. My favorite is Spray-on Spam. The can fits in the bottle cage, you can spray it directly into your mouth, and it's good for charging up without stopping. You can also spray it at any dogs that are chasing you. They stop to eat, and you get away! To round things out, I love to start my day with green eggs and Spam...

I've cut back to riding every other day. But tomorrow will be a ride all day day. Rain cancels.

p.s. I took the picture with my phone! So many functions, so little time to learn them all.

No comments: