Friday, May 30, 2008

I made it to San Francisco!

Just think, blogging at 35,000 feet. That’s better than being in the mile high club, isn’t it? ; - ) It will be sweet if the whole journey is like this. I printed my boarding pass at home, gave my duffel to the skycap, breezed through airport security, and had a pleasant sit down lunch. The flight to Charlotte was uneventful. It’s a nice airport. I like to sit on the white rocking chairs up on the mezzanine and watch the flow of people. It helps the time between connections pass. Then it was off to San Francisco. There was an empty middle seat next to me! When was the last time you had that happen? (There was a lot of gallows humor on USAir. They’re charging for sandwiches and “snack boxes” now, and June 1 will do away with the pretzels and coke.) But I don’t care, when the coast to coast fair in $179, I’ll eat at the airport restaurant before boarding. Hmm... I just looked out the window. I wonder how far it is from horizon to horizon. 100 mile? 200? 300? A couple or three days riding? We’re over Pueblo, CO, an hour from San Francisco by plane. It will be day 20 (and 1,429 miles) by bike. Arriving in San Francisco, my bag was the third one on the carrousel and the hotel shuttle was there within 10 minutes. Life is sweet.

2 comments:

Donna H said...

Tom YOU ROCK!! I'm sending you a Great Big Ole HUGGIE!!! Ride with the wind dude.

Love ya,
Donna

Tom Montville said...

Thanks, amigo. You do your thing, too. Keep that pantry full!