Saturday, May 17, 2008

Rebecca Rocks!


Today Rebecca received her Master of Science in Teaching at Fordham University's Rose Hill Campus in the Bronx. Mom and Dad are so proud. Rebecca accomplished this while working as a math and science middle school teacher at the Center School in upper Manhattan. Our girl child has always been bright and fiercely independent. Rebecca finished high school in 3 years, used the extra year at Rutgers, where she may have set a record for number of scientific papers published by and undergraduate and then went on to do a few years in a lab at Yale. Having decided that academic science was not her thing, Rebecca was awarded a State of New York Teaching Fellowship. The fellows teach full time while earning their MST. And that's what she did. Rebecca earned her MST. There are lots of lucky middle schoolers out there. Rebecca Rocks!

And now a word from our ride:
In two weeks, I'll be on the ride! But I've lost that "all jock, all the time" feeling. I think that once I had it (the feeling) I backed off, but there is still time to work on mental toughness, ride another couple of hundred miles, start (yes, start) doing situps, work on upper body strength, get a haircut, and chew some nails.

This morning I rode a quick (15.7 mph) 15 miles along Canal Road in weather that was cool and crisp. The birds were singing, the sun dappled through the trees to make never ending patterns on the pavement, and the road kill count was an amazingly low one. And yes, YES, YES, Courtylous Lane, the most pot hole-filled, lose gravelled, bumpy, bone jarring direct route from my house to Canal Road HAS BEEN PAVED! I know it's not a big deal to you, but for the last two years, I've been going two miles out of my way to avoid Courtylous. But then, that means that my rides just got two miles shorter, which is bad for training, right?

One last shout out: HORAY FOR REBECCA!

No comments: