Friday, May 30, 2008

Just Hangin' With My Bike


Here's the "before and after" picture of my bike. There is something very meditative about assembling a bike. Unwrapping each part like a present on Christmas morning. Laying them out in some semblance of order. Picking each piece up, contemplating its function and orientation on the bike. The saddle and the handle bars are loosely seated first. Later they'll be perfectly squared. Once the saddle and bars are on, the bike can be vertical. Upside down, but vertical- much easier to work on than laying on its side. The the skewers are placed in the hubs and the wheels on the bike. Someday I'll learn how to mount the rear wheel w/o getting all greasy. Now the bike goes right side up, the pedals go on, and I'm good to go.

I met my first fellow rider at breakfast. Suresh is from Trinadad, a military guy on one year, pre-retirement leave. He's not concerned about the hills, but he's unsure of the cold.

So it's 8:15 a.m. (Pacific time), I've had breakfast and assembled my bike. What next? Maybe I'll go for a little ride....http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=5187857015204185797&postID=4615346519992722319#
Show all

2 comments:

Ken said...

Well Tom, I guess I am along for the ride.

I've been thinking about Elijah's Promise, and wanting to make some sort of difference, and then your note came in through "Personals" at RU.

So, here's the plan. I'll read your blog. I'll put aside $.05 for each mile you make, as you make it, and give it to the kitchen when you get home.

Also, as an incentive (based on your professorly calculations) I'll throw in $1 a day for each day UNDER 52 that you do the trip. (By your calculations, this could be in as little as 18 days?!?, that would be an additional $34.)

And finally, I'll spread the word as I can, and try and drum up some additional pledges.

Best of luck, and I hope this note lifts you as you launch on your trip tomorrow.

-k-

Tom Montville said...

Thanks for your support, Ken. Somehow I don't think I'll do it in 18 days, and the 52 is pretty much a sure thing since that's the way the hotels are booked., As for the 0.05 cents per mile, plan of 3,880 miles. : - )