Friday, May 23, 2008

Graduation Day


You do remember that I'm the pedaling professor. Today is my favorite day of the academic year- Graduation! On Graduation Day, everybody is proud, happy, or just relieved that it's finally over. The faculty gets paid to sit in the sun and look scholarly, the grads get to bounce the beach ball around during the speeches, and the families get to crane their necks and cheer. The picture is of my friend George, giving his daughter Jen her diploma. Faculty giving diplomas to their children is a Rutgers tradition. The day that I gave Chris his diploma was my most memorable day at Rutgers. To many of you, the signing of the Alma Mater is one of those silly traditions. But Rutgers' Alma Mater is derived from a colonial drinking song. We all stand up and sing it at the end of the ceremony and then the academic year is over. Whew....

No comments: