Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 30, No Miles! Rest Day, St. Joes, MO



This will be brief because I'm supposed to be resting. (That's why they call it a rest day). I slept until 8:30, had breakfast, and then joined the bike wash party. In the close up photo you can note that I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty as I clean every link on my chain. A clean link makes for a happy chain. A happy chain makes for a smooth bike. A smooth bike makes for a happy cyclist. If you double click on the picture, you can also see the equisite pattern of the carbon fiber that comprises the frame stay. The Beach Boys music, towel snapping game, and "accidental" overspray make Bike Wash Party a blast.

My good friend Rosanne was out this way for a family wedding, and has dropped down to visit. As much as I enjoy the corps de riders, it's really nice to spend time with a friend from back home. Rosanne lives in New Hampshire and is in charge of festive arrangements for day 52 (the end of the ride.)

We went to see the home where Jesse James was "assassinated" (as his devotees like to say). It was his home and nicely preserved. You could see the bullet hole from the bullet that supposedly went through his head. Many, many, portraits of Jesse were displayed in the house. He was quite dapper and liked to have his picture taken. His rattlesnake ties was also exhibited.

Next to Jesse's house is the Patee Museum, collection remarkable for both its quality and quantity. I'm too tired to write about it, so follow the link.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have 2 things to say today. First is the importance of Dorothy's feeling since she actually was still in Kansas. I was telling Karen it sort of reminded me of the infamous Dallas season where Pam had a dream (season)and awoke to see Bobby in the shower. The 2nd thing is that I hope you are getting some cough medicine while you are there. Bro

Anonymous said...

I discussed my comment with Karen and she said that you should get aspirin and not cough medicine. That made me remember your early days as a prof at RU when you had the consulting job with M&M Mars. Bro