Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 27, Abilene, KS, 69 miles Half Way Home


Today I reached another milestone. I passed the half-way "in miles" mark. That put a big smile on my face. Gary, a retired accountant has been gathering data and doing calculations for days. He's determined that, as a group, we've:

  • ridden 70,400 miles
  • made 2,100,000 pedal strokes
  • spend 4,500 hours riding,
  • climbed 61,000 feet
  • expended 4,900,000 Calories
  • had 117 flats
  • worn out 17 tires
  • and 30% of the riders were hit by the stomach virus
A few miles out of McPherson, we made a left, rode through Canton, and the world exploded from the tans and browns of the last few days into an Ozian brust of emerald- just like the movie when it turns from black and white to color. Grass ran up to the shoulder of the road. There were groups of trees, small forest of trees on rolling hills that reminded me of rural PA. Best of all, we had a tail wind that blew us all the way into Abilene.

Abilene is the boyhood home and now site of the Eisenhower Center. Next to his crypt is engraved this section of his speech, "A Chance for Peace."

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms in not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its
scientists, the hopes of its children.

Dwight Eisenhower

Technical problems are screwing up the font, but you get the idea

5 comments:

Mike said...

Pedaling Professor:

Congratulations on reaching the halfway mark!

I have been following your ride with great interest. I also would like to ride across America, but I think I will need to wait until I retire to have enough time.

I am surprised at the number of flats the group has had--- 117. I hope the Motobecane hasn't been a contibutor.

PS Elijah's Promise looks like a great cause! I just gave a donation online.

Keep up the good work.
Mike

Unknown said...

Hi Tom!
You have definitely kept alot of us entertained! By the way, kevin says you are on ushering duty next week...think you can pedal faster???? I have nothing but admiration for you!! Can't wait to hear all about it! We miss you!
Robin Heilmann (Morales)

Tom Montville said...

Hey Mike,
I had 7 flats before I switch to "goo" tubes. None since. Thanks for the donation, and thanks from those you feed.

Robin,
Hope married life is more fun than riding a hundred miles. ; - )
I will keep my scheduled turn as council rep on July 24. I'm in Kansas and remember what Dorthy said, "There's no place like home."

Anonymous said...

Tom, I love your colorful language but I'm starting to hope you'll use spell checker. I'm trying to guess what you mean in part of your blogs. I'll admit I had no idea what Ozian meant so I looked it up in my New World Dictionary and it just isn't there. It may be a word maybe you meant to use a different word with a similar sound. You know me, the former English major. I love ya dearly but sometimes you make me wonder what you're trying to say. Love, Bro

Unknown said...

2:36 A.M, I hope that was a technical error too! you need sleep to ride all those miles.

I am a co-worker of your fabulous daughter (We think she rocks too) as do you obviously. Ho[e the ride if great and congrats on hitting half-way.

Ozian is a fine word- I think it just takes a bit of imagination and a pick up on the film reference, but I got the image loud and clear.

Is Kansas more exciting on a bike? Because driving....