Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 25, Grand Bend, 90 Miles

Grand Bend, which has a WalMart, a, Sonic, a Burger King and a McDonalds, a Perkins, a Pizza Hut, and a bike shop that I never could seem to find, has it all over Dodge City which has two Chinese Restaurants, a Madas Muffler, , and the lamest museum of the trip.

If you want to know what Kansas looks like, read yesterday's post, it hasn't changed. Fortunately, there are some little historical sites that break up the landscape and give me a reason to stop beside, "Good Lord, I need a butt break" Today's petite pleasures was a tiny little church. Senator (and later president) Grover Cleveland gave the town a bell, but the town fathers had nowhere to put it, thought it should go in a church, so built the biggest church they could afford. It was the last thing Grover ever gave to the town. There are some crude parallels to Henry Rutgers' gift of a bell and $5,000 to what was then Queens College. The bell was hung in Old Queens, the college renamed "Rutgers" and that was the last thing Henry ever gave Rutgers (the college, not himself.) This is a somewhat sensitive topic with those who keep the official history of the University. My version is a better story than their version.

There was also in interesting museum of life on the Kansas prairie at the half way point between San Francisco and New York City. Unfortunately, we did not have the good sense to finish in NYC, so our half way point will come tomorrow. The museum is built around an actual sod house. They put a cement floor under it, and a new roof on it, but other than that, it's all original sod.

I haven't mentioned it before, but one of the intellectually interesting aspects of the trip is all the stuff I learned in grades 3-6 that I thought were totally useless, but now are not. For example, why the vegetation and climates on two sides of the mountain are completely different; how rivers change their course and why they are so curvey; the difference between immigration and emmigration; why some flowers always face the sun (they are heliotrophic), why smart farmers rotate their crops between corn and soy; and why anyone would ever build their house out of sod.

Today's mini-contest: What is the strange little building in the picture? It is made out of tin or sheet metal, and was about 15 ft back from the rail road track. You'll get some sort of prize if you're right, and I'll make you famous by posting the answer on the Blog.

Technical Note: Keep those comments coming. I haven't figured out how to respond by e-mail, but try to add a comment about the comments in the comment using the comment command in the comment section. (With apologies to Expos 101)

8 comments:

rkbnp said...

here goes....

there is a huge pipe of some type hanging out of the front of the structure.
my guesses:
1. there is a water tower encased in that building
2. some sort of grain elevator/storage
3. worlds largest outhouse and that is a vent....

can't wait to hear the answer!!
rosanne

Anonymous said...

1 Another similarity I share with Tom is that I'm an RU grad. I was the first of many in the family to go there.
2 I like the Rutgers shirt.
3 I'll got with the water tower theory and I'd ay it was used for the boilers in steam locomotives since it is next to a set of RR tracks. Bro

Anonymous said...

1 There is no Grand Bend in Kansas. You are in Great Bend.
2 I'm starting to lean toward grain elevator after looking at historical pictures. Plus, hose is wrong type for water tower. Bro

Unknown said...

I caught a shout-out for you on barfblog this morning: (http://barfblog.foodsafety.ksu.edu/ 2008/06/articles/ifsn-oped/don-schaffner -guest-barfblogger-biking-for-food-security/ index.html)
And after you pass McPherson on Hwy 56, I'll be 8 miles south in Goessel, KS, sitting at my computer desk working on an op-ed for iFSN.

Like you, food safety is my job and food security is my passion. And I love a good bike ride. "Riding a bike to feed the hungry" is definitely going on my bucket list!

Kudos! I'm off to make my donation...

Anonymous said...

Well I don't work for the university..ain't a professor of nuthin....but um...duh...grain silo anyone ??

Although I think I like Rosanne's #3 comment better!

And the sarcasm...that's just plain green envy! Stumbled to your blog and am blown away...great job, fabulous trip...and I just wanna ride!!! NOW...not two years from now which is the plan!!

Keep Peddling :-) Karin

Tom Montville said...

Thanks for all the comments.

First, I don't know what the structure is so can't really award the prize. I'll go with grain elevator or outhouse.

Thank you Casey, glad we connected. It seems like I should know you professionally. Shoot me an e-mail t.montville@yahoo.com
Jump in, do the ride, it may not fill the whole bucket, but it's a start. That goes for you too, Karin.

Anonymous said...

There is a historical train ride in Abilene. Why don't you show the picture of the mystery building to the people there? They may know what it is. Bro

June said...

Hi, Dr M! Glynis K pointed me to your 'blog, I'm a bit behind but am enjoying your travels vicariously! Yeah, the KS stockyards (aka "CAFOs" - concentrated animal feeding operations) do stink. Matt and I (and our new daughter Meredith!) are cheering you on throughout the ride!