Sunday, April 27, 2008


There is a training truism that you need to train in all kinds of weather, hot, cold, wet, windy, because you’ll undoubtedly have endure them on The Ride. So today was a wonderful training opportunity, it was cold, windy and driving rain. The training trifecta. (My brother Bob told me not to worry about using fragments in my blog.) If I went out right after church, I could get 3 or 4 hours of cold and wet in! But alas, at the end of church, they made the announcement about the “work day” (which I had forgotten about even though I’m on the property committee) that afternoon. Being on the property committee and a member of the church council, I decided to sacrifice my ride for the love of God and for the good of the greater church.
First Kevin took me up a lot of ladders into the church’s attic to replace a burned out light bulb in the ceiling. When Kevin jiggled it, it went back on. Oh well. At least I know the secret passageways now. Then we went over to the Christian Ed Building to replace more light bulbs. I know what you’re thinking- how many professors does it take to change a light bulb? Well there was only one professor, so I had to take 13-times longer to do it. Finally, we replaced ceiling tiles that were damaged in the last driving rain. (Yes, we *did* have the roof repaired before replacing the tiles.) We finished around 2:30, left the building, and lo and behold – God had acknowledged my sacrifice! She parted the clouds, let the warm front come in, and adorned my path with singing birds and deer frolicking in the meadow.
-Does anyone know the emoticon for tongue in cheek?-
Well, ok, the ride was cold, damp and cloudy. 28 miles, 16.2 mph (ave), 85 rpm. Saw a goose with a slew of chicks next to the canal. Kind of cute, when she saw me, they all scooted underneath her and she did the hissing thing.
Today’s road kill: Deer- 3 by sight, 1 by smell. 1 snake by the feel of it under my wheel. I’m not sure that the snake should count since it’s a cold-blooded invertebrate, but don’t want to be accused of specie-ism.
The picture shows Pastor Jeff in front of our “we love everybody who loves anybody” sign. (We a Reconciling in Christ congregation, but I think that love sums us up.) See www.emanuelnb.org

No comments: