Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 24, 2008. Greetings from our Nation’s Capital


Yes folks, I’m working in Washington, D.C. this week. It’s for my day job. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has a grant review panel that brings experts to this great city to decide who gets funded and who does not. As work related assignments go, it’s a good gig. The Feds always put us up in great boutique hotels that we couldn’t afford on my own. We get a few extra bucks (tire, tube, and jersey money) and it’s fun to work with some of the smartest people in the country. AND it’s a new place to ride my bike.

Washington is a great town to cycle in. Lots of folks cycle to work, cruising around the mall and the monuments. By commuting “to work” I feel like one of the natives. It’s not clear how my fellow panelists view this, so I use lots of deodorant. Cycling during the morning commute is a whole new way to see our Nation’s capital. It’s only a 3.5 miles from the hotel to work, but there are always opportunities for riding in the evening.

Trivial points: We have wireless at work, so I can blog during the breaks. The security guard is letting me park in the basement garage and didn’t make me put the bike through security. My bike for the week is my 30+ year old Motobecane Super Mirage. To think it was cutting edge in its day…

No comments: